As technology advances, we see an introduction to a new orthodontic treatment, Invisalign. Usually when one considers braces, the first treatment that comes to the mind is those with fine metal wires. In recent days, we observe more individuals considering the more visually pleasing option. Other than Invisalign being more visually pleasing, this article considers its pros and cons and compares it against the traditional fine metal wired braces.
Table of Contents
Invisalign is a popular orthodontic treatment that uses clear, removable aligners to gradually straighten teeth. Here are some reasons why you should consider Invisalign treatment:
- Discreet: Invisalign aligners are clear and almost invisible, which makes them a popular choice for people who want to straighten their teeth without drawing attention to their braces.
- Removable and Easy clean: The aligners can be easily removed for eating, drinking, brushing and flossing, which can make dental hygiene easier and more convenient.
- Comfortable: Invisalign aligners are made of smooth, comfortable plastic that doesn’t irritate the mouth or gums.
- Effective: Invisalign is an effective way to correct orthodontic issues, including crooked teeth, overcrowding, and gaps between teeth.
This said, there are some reasons why one may think twice about having Invisalign.
- Cost: The treatment can be more expensive than traditional braces.
- Discipline: In order for Invisalign to be effective, patients need to wear their aligners for 20-22 hours a day. Some people may find it difficult to commit to the discipline required.
- Requires removal for eating and drinking: While the ability to remove the aligners is a pro, some people may find it inconvenient to remove them every time they eat or drink.
- Colouration of Invisalign aligners: If the aligners are not properly cared for, they may start to turn yellow or become stained from exposure to certain foods, beverages, or smoking. However, with proper cleaning and care, the aligners should remain clear and transparent throughout the course of the treatment.
- Treatment time: Invisalign treatment may take longer than traditional braces in some cases.
Fine wire metal braces can be a suitable or preferred option for several reasons such as its proven effectiveness, and durability.
Wire metal braces are durable and can withstand normal wear and tear. They are also a good option for individuals with more severe orthodontic issues, as they provide greater control over the movement of the teeth.
Main differences between Invisalign and Metal braces
Some of the main differences between the two are cost, visibility and durability. Though Invisalign treatment is known to be more costly as compared to metal braces, they are preferred because it is not as visible, hence looks more aesthetically pleasing.
Invisalign aligners are made of a special type of medical-grade thermoplastic called SmartTrack. This material is unique to Invisalign and is designed to be flexible. SmartTrack is a clear material that is virtually invisible when worn, which is one of the reasons why Invisalign is so popular among patients who want a discreet orthodontic treatment.
While metal braces are a tried-and-true method for straightening teeth, Invisalign offers a more discreet and comfortable treatment option. It may or may not be the best choice for everyone as orthodontic treatment is largely based on individual needs, hence it is recommended to discuss your options with an orthodontist to determine the best course of treatment.
Post Image: Beyza Kaplan