You’ve done it before: gulping glass after glass of caffeinated drinks and energy boosters so you can meet a fast-approaching deadline and blinking faster than police sirens to stay awake and think straight when the effects of your coffee overload start to kick in. How do you avoid the side effects of drinking too much coffee but still enjoy your cold, frothy brew? Here’s the answer: microdose coffee.
When you microdose your coffee, you drink small quantities at various intervals throughout the day instead of giant cups at once. As a result, your caffeine levels stay even all day instead of spiking in the morning and falling as the sun rises to the middle of the sky. Charles Czeisler, the head of the Division of Sleep Medicine at HMS in 2004, reasons that humans should stick to “much smaller, more frequent doses of caffeine, equivalent to a quarter of a cup of coffee, as the day wears on.”
Now, you’ve probably reasoned that brewing your regular cup of black coffee might not be the way to go if you want to try coffee microdosing. And while you were busy reasoning, we pulled up the list of the top ten brands that manufacture liquid coffee concentrates. If you want something stronger than just coffee, check out these best psychedelic coffee drinks.
As we prepare for the full reveal, these are the best five microdose coffee brands topping our list in 2023.
- Best overall: Jot Ultra Coffee
- Best budget: Colombe Cold Brew Concentrate
- Mildest coffee flavor: Cappio Cold Brew Coffee Concentrate
- Strongest coffee flavor: Death Wish Coffee Cold Brew
- Best alcoholic: Cafe Agave Spiked Cold Brew Coffee
Table of Contents
How to Use Microdose Coffee Concentrate
Thought the best microdose coffee concentrates were only good for mixing with hot or cold water? Far from it. The coffee concentrate is one of our favorite ways to make delicious coffee-based drinks that require no prep or cleanup. You can use it as a substitute for espresso or brewed coffee to create unique cocktails and desserts.
Stews, soups, and sauces
Use coffee concentrate in savory recipes that call for water. Add it to soups, stews, and sauces. The flavor of coffee is subtle but unmistakable, so you can use this trick even if you don’t want your dish to taste heavily like coffee. Add a few tablespoons of the concentrate per quart of liquid you’re cooking with (or two teaspoons per cup).
The acidity from the coffee helps tenderize the meat while enhancing its flavor with hints of roasted grain aromas from the beans! You’ll also get some extra moisture-retaining power from all those oils too! This works great on chicken breasts or salmon filets. For inspiration, we present this wholesome coffee-marinated chicken recipe that’ll take your taste buds to cloud seven.
Nothing compares to the aroma of a freshly baked cake wafting through the air. The mere thought of it brings to mind memories of warm, comforting slices, each one bursting with flavor and love.
From the creamy, velvety texture of buttercream frosting to the tender crumb, homemade cakes are the epitome of decadence. And just when we thought the deliciousness of a homemade cake was at its finest, microdose coffee concentrate showed up.
Check out how to incorporate coffee concentrate into your homemade cake recipe.
Who doesn’t love the contrast of the dark espresso against the creamy milk, the delicate foam swirling on top like a work of art? Pour 17 cl of hot water into a mug, then add one tablespoon of coffee concentrate and stir until dissolved. Fill the mug with steamed milk (1 part for every two parts coffee), then top with foam if desired.
Best Microdose Coffee Brands
The long-awaited time has come for us to take a deep dive into the market of microdose coffee! We’ll share the best brands to satisfy your taste buds and give you the energy boost you need. Join us as we review each brand we’ve carefully selected, preferably with a cup of cold brew in hand.
Jot Ultra Coffee
Why settle for mediocre coffee when you can experience the rich and bold flavor of Jot? With just a few drops of this microdose coffee, you can create a cup of coffee that is full-bodied, with a flavor that is both smooth and complex. Do you prefer your coffee hot or iced? Love it black or with cream? Jot Ultra will not fail you.
Pour one teaspoon of Jot Ultra Coffee Concentrate into a glass or cup, and add whatever you’d like to mix it with, from milk to water.
- Exciting welcome offers for new customers!
- 20x more concentrated than other microdose coffee brands.
- It can be used in many ways, from homemade lattes to brownies.
- Suitable for anyone on a keto diet.
- Comes in three flavors: black, duo, and original.
- Lasts up to 90 days when refrigerated after opening.
- Very expensive.
- Has a slightly bitter tinge.
- One bottle can make only 14 cups of coffee.
- High in caffeine.
La Colombe Cold Brew Concentrate
As you pour the thick, inky liquid from the sleek glass bottle, you can feel the chill of the cold brew concentrate seeping into your bones. This is not your ordinary iced coffee but an elixir that will awaken your senses and keep you on edge. Be wary, for once you enter the realm of La Colombe Cold Brew Concentrate, there is no turning back.
How to Prep
Pop open a can of La Colombe Cold Brew and pour it into a cup. Add milk and sugar, or enjoy black.
- Comes in several flavors for picky buyers.
- Contains 100% medium-roast coffee and nitrous oxide, which creates a foamy, silky consistency.
- No preservatives.
- Medium acidity.
- Convenient to prepare.
- Best bang for your buck.
- Some customers have found the taste of this liquid microdose coffee unpleasant.
- Best consumed within two weeks of opening.
- Has a high caffeine content.
- It might be unsuitable for lactose-intolerant consumers because it’s manufactured in the same factory as milk.
Chameleon Cold Brew Black Coffee
This is coffee for those who crave the deep, strong flavor of a premium, artisanal brew that will wake you up and keep you going. So, if you’re ready to taste the complex notes of dark chocolate and caramel, perfectly balanced with a smooth, velvety finish, grab a bottle of Chameleon Cold Brew Black Coffee.
- Suitable for vegan, kosher, and Paleo diets.
- Low in calories.
- Has an unforgettable taste that helps it stand out from competitors.
- Each bottle makes only eight 8-ounce servings.
- Out of stock on both Amazon and the official website.
- Tastes sour and rancid on rare occasions.
Stumptown Coffee Concentrate Cold Brew
Meet your ray of sunshine on a fast Monday morning. Made with the finest beans and brewed to perfection, this cold brew concentrate is a coffee lover’s dream come true.
Whether you’re a die-hard coffee enthusiast or just someone who enjoys a good cup of joe, Stumptown Coffee Concentrate Cold Brew will satisfy you.
- Perfect microdose coffee for pouring over ice, mixing with water or milk, cocktails, and incorporation into baking recipes.
- Easy to use by even the clumsiest coffee drinker.
- Low in calories.
- Available in select retail e-stores.
- Each bottle makes just five 10-ounce servings.
Death Wish Coffee Cold Brew
One serving of Death Wish equals a ticket to savor the earthy undertones of freshly roasted arabica coffee beans. The smooth texture of the coffee is reminiscent of the gentle flow of a mountain stream. If you assumed this was just another drink, you were pretty far from the truth. It’s an actual death wish that will transport you to the heart of the earth.
- Packaged in a can, this cold brew can accompany you anywhere.
- Has a sweet aftertaste.
- Very, very strong.
- Save 10% with a subscription.
- It might be too strong for your liking — who knows?
High Brew Cold Brew Coffee
The cool, refreshing taste of High Brew’s microdose coffee is enhanced by its luscious creaminess, making it the perfect treat for any time of day. Whether sipping it on a hot summer day or cozying up with a cup on a chilly morning, High Brew Cold Brew Coffee will envelop your senses in a creamy, dreamy haze that you won’t resist.
- Packaged in a self-heating can.
- High in dietary fibers, protein, and calcium.
- Sweetened lightly with cane sugar.
- Available in many appealing flavors.
- Comes ready to drink. No mixing is required unless you’re pouring it over ice or blending it with something.
- Suitable for vegan diets.
- Low-quality control.
- High in fat, calories, and sugars.
Cappio Cold Brew Coffee Concentrate
This liquid gold is the fastest route to getting your morning started on the best foot or keeping you going strong throughout the day. Having a mild coffee flavor and sourced from arabica beans, Cappio Cold Brew Coffee Concentrate can meet the needs of whoever loves coffee but not its strong taste.
- Tastes great when mixed with about anything, from milk and Ovaltine to ice cream and smoothies.
- Lasts up to 30 days post-opening when refrigerated.
- Its weak taste means you have to use more of it to get your typical concentrated microdose coffee.
- Not the best coffee concentrate for buyers on a budget.
Starbucks Cold Brew Concentrate Black
This bold and robust brew packs a punch to energize your muscles all day, every day. Pour the chocolatey and sweet liquid into your glass, and feel the adrenaline rush coursing through your veins in a way that only Starbucks can.
How to Prep
Add four fl oz of Starbucks Cold Brew Concentrate and four fl oz of water to a glass filled with ice. For larger servings, mix this concentrate in a 1:1 ratio with water. To personalize your glass of coffee, splash in some milk and sugar as desired.
- Super delicious.
- Tastes way too mild.
- Caffeine content isn’t specified.
SToK Cold Brew Extra Bold Unsweetened Coffee Concentrate
Produced from 100% Arabica beans that have been cold-brewed for hours, this concentrate delivers a smooth and bold taste without any added sweetness. Its pure and unadulterated flavor is perfect for coffee lovers who prefer their coffee pure and black.
- Low in fat.
- 170 mg of caffeine per serving.
- Tastes fine without sugar or milk.
- Few customers found its concentration unsatisfactory.
Cafe Agave Spiked Cold Brew Coffee
Sip it slowly and savor the rich notes of Arabica beans, perfectly balanced with a touch of creamy sweetness and a generous splash of premium alcohol. This is no ordinary coffee – it’s a sophisticated, adult indulgence that’s sure to please even the most discerning palate.
- Offers the benefits of both coffee and wine.
- Perfect sizing.
- It cannot be sold to persons under 21 years.
- Not for anyone who doesn’t take alcohol on a normal day.
Coffee doesn’t provide much in terms of nutritional benefits. So you can microdose it all you want, but remember to get your eight hours of sleep (or as much as you can of this duration) daily.